Thursday, March 8, 2012

SPORTS: Third game of the series; Chaffey at AVC

By Ravi Surampudi
Staff Writer

AVC baseball has being playing decently in league play. Coach John Livermore was trying to record his 100th win as AVC’s baseball coach. Steven Tremlin, who played first base in the first two games of the series, pitched on March 3.“I throw fastball, change up, sinker, curveball, and slider. Fastball tops to 88 mph. Watching the other pitchers pitch before me is a tremendous help and advantageous to me. Their offense has not been too strong in the series,” Tremlin said. “Our pitching depth has carried us this year. Having six or seven pitchers really relaxes me and takes the pressure off when I am pitching.”

“I only hit one home run this year because I have been using a new bat. It is similar to the wood bat. It was too dangerous to use the other bats that had more aluminum in them because of all the pitchers getting injured. I hit two doubles in Chaffey and no hits in the first home game and I hit cleanup in the game,” Tremlin said.


“His fastball, change up and slider are easier to catch. The curveball tends to bounce and skips low,” Nick Monjian, the team’s catcher, said about Tremlin.“I am not really a strong hitter so I bat seventh. When there are runners on base I hit the ball where it is pitched. We really communicate well with a bunt situation or steal situation,” Monjian said about his hitting.

“We play hard on the road and take a game if we can and protect our field when the visiting team comes to our field. Chaffey has a deeper left field which was 348 feet and center and right field was about the same at AVC,” Tremlin said.

“When a runner on first steals second, I take the pitch so the runner can take the base so it is easier for the RBI situation. When runners are on base, I try to hit solid contact and avoid hitting into a double play.” Tremlin said, “We can definitely take the series against Chaffey, and we feel that Victor Valley is easier to play so we are confident for both the March 3 game and March 6 game.”

Tremlin gave up a run in the top of the first inning and Chaffey was up 1-0. AVC did not score in the bottom of the first inning. There is no score in the top of the second inning. At the bottom of the inning, AVC started scoring runs. Tremlin started the inning with a single and went to second on a wild pitch. Ryan Harrick walked and Jacob Resinger singled to load the bases for Monjian. Tremlin scored on a passed ball to tie the game at 1-1. The runners were then on second and third when Monjian loaded the bases again for Nolan Almadovar, who hit a two- run double to give AVC a 3-1 lead. Brian Ebert and Enrique Alvarado both struck out to end the inning.

Ebert made a diving catch in the top of the third inning, but Tremlin gave up another run to make the score 3-2 AVC.Tremlin walked, Resinger singled, Monjian singled in one run and Almadovar singled in another run to make the score 5 -2 AVC.

There was no scoring in the top of the fourth for Chaffey and the bottom of the fourth inning, Jack Sheeley hit a double and that was it for the inning. At the Bottom of the fifth inning, Tremlin struck out, Harrick grounded out and Resinger struck out. In the top of the sixth inning, Chaffey failed to score. During the bottom of the inning, Almadovar reached third but failed to score.

In the top of the seventh inning, Tremlin gave up a single but did not allow a run. In the bottom of the inning, Sheeley singled, Tremlin popped out to right, Harrick flied out to center and Resinger grounded out.

In the top of the eighth, Zack Myas replaced Tremlin and Dylan Livingston replaced Monjian as catcher. Myas shut down Chaffey in the inning. AVC failed to capitalize in the eighth Myas retired Chaffey quickly to earn his second save of the season as AVC won the game by a score of 5-2.

“I did not perform my best individually but this is a team sport and I am happy that the team won the series against Chaffey,” Harrick said.

“I played first base today and played infield my whole life. I stole second base when they least expected it,” Jack Sheeley said.

“I am always ready to play, ready to contribute. I should have been more aggressive in my at bat it is something I will work on in the future. I was happy to catch Zack Myas. He is a great pitcher, we have solid defense and we will be fine. We feel great about the win. It was one of our biggest wins of the year. We have a good chance against Victor Valley,” Livingston said.

“Chaffey is experienced; I focused on keeping them off balanced with my fastball, change up and curveball. They had no chance against my outside fastball. I am 1-2 on the season with 5.00 ERA and pitch normally in relief situations,” Myas said.

“That was my first career start; I went hard after them as possible. They were guessing a lot on my fastball and changeup. We are going to be pretty good against Victor Valley. It feels great to win against Chaffey,” Chris Unger, who pitched on Feb. 28, said.

“To win two out of three against Chaffey was great, especially since this game was 100th career win and my daughter is about deliver her son, who is my grandson.” Livermore continued, “When we play, the pitching staff pitches well and hitters hit timely against a very good Chaffey team. “Jack Sheeley will be pitching on March 6. The key to his game is location and where he spots his pitches.I love the fact that television is here, AV press is here and Examiner is here. Our best season recently was the 2007 baseball season when we third in conference and they only took two teams to playoffs. Rio Hondo in our conference is currently 5-0, and it is a long time since we last made playoffs,” Coach Livermore said.

The AVC baseball team is now 6-8 and beat Chaffey 2-1 in a best of three series. The next home game for AVC will be on March 8 at 2 P.M.